Friday, January 9, 2015

The Myth of Soul Mates

((This is a piece I am working on The Myth of Soulmates. A mixed up romantic montage of love and unloved stories. This is an excerpt.)) 


Some may think this is a depressing and cynical thought but I don't really believe in soul mates. Well, let me clarify that. I don't believe we are put on this earth for one person. I don't think we are meant to spend our lives with one person either. I think we are meant to love many people in our lives. Partner-wise, I mean. Obviously we love a lot of people throughout our lives.  

I think of this as very romantic, though. Think about all of the relationships you have had in your life. From first loves to long term to even one night stands. When you think about it, each of these relationships, no matter how small or short, have taken a significant part of your life, shaping you for your next adventure in love. 

In my opinion, heartbreak is the most real emotion a human can feel. And I think everyone needs to feel it. The figurative scar tissue left on the heart is what molds people. It makes your heart strong. Because who knows, someone may come into your life and need a strong heart to help them. 

You know what I think is the romantic part of it all. Knowing all of this. That there are no soul mates. That you were not put on this earth to be with that one person. That we could love so many people in our lives and the possibilities are endless. But the most romantic part of it all is that most of us, despite having the world, evolution, everything against us, we still chose one person. And we work so hard in loving that person for the rest of our lives. That kind of love doesn't come easy. That kind of love is so easy to walk away from, to take advantage of. That kind of love is more work that play. But we still do it every day some do it for 50 years or more. We chose to love that one person. To give them the rest of our lives. That is where the romance is. 



No comments:

Post a Comment